About Me

My photo
Breastfeeding,co-sleeping, attachment parenting mother. Trying to save babies from unnecessary exposure to infant formula. Supporter of proper information distributed to mothers worldwide on the benefits of breastfeeding and the risks of infant formula. Doing everything possible to make the risks known!

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Cover it up!

If breastfeeding offends you, put a blanket over YOUR head.  The attitude of modern society when it comes to breastfeeding really annoys me and I'm sure it annoys many mom's out there who do it and have received negative comments.  On our second day out of hospital I was walking around town with a blanket over my shoulder and over little one (only because it was drizzling and very cold out) and we went to my husband's work place to introduce our new addition.  On arrival, I whipped off the blanket in front of everyone so they could have a look at him even though he was nursing.  They all fell completely in love and ooohed and aaahed at him nursing.  It was fantastic.  The only person who has ever made me feel uncomfortable feeding is my mother.  She didn't want me to do it in front of her and if I did I had to "cover up".  This attitude annoyed me to the point of rage. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding in public and to any new mom's out there who are nervous about doing it, don't be.  When you're feeding you either have to pull your top up so no one sees anything anyway, or you have to pull your top down, in which case if you're uncomfortable, by all means cover up.  But don't be pressured into thinking you have to.  I'm not remotely modest (probably because I was poked and prodded at so much during pregnancy, the birth, after the birth and during my PCOS tests) and am proud to be a non-modest nurser!  It's the most natural and beautiful thing in the world and should be looked on with fondness and admiration. 

Happy feeding!  :-) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment