About Me

My photo
Breastfeeding,co-sleeping, attachment parenting mother. Trying to save babies from unnecessary exposure to infant formula. Supporter of proper information distributed to mothers worldwide on the benefits of breastfeeding and the risks of infant formula. Doing everything possible to make the risks known!

Monday 23 January 2012

Breastfeeding is such a pain!

Yes, it can be horrendously painful.  More painful for some than others.  I was lucky enough to suffer a minimal amount of pain (and I have a very low pain threshold) but I think your ability to cope with the pain depends very much on how much you want to breastfeed.  I was determined to breastfeed and so didn't give up when it got sore.  What every new mom/breastfeeder has to remember is that the pain is only temporary.  If you suffer with pain throughout a feed then your baby's latch is wrong.  If you only suffer pain in the first few sucks of a feed, then congratulations!  Your baby is latched correctly. 

There are many ways to minimalise the pain in those first couple of weeks of breastfeeding, and here they are:

Paracetamol -  yes, we come back to the only painkiller you're allowed to take throughout pregnancy!  Pop a couple of paracetamol, even if it doesn't do it for you, and I guarantee the pain will be slightly lessened if not greatly reduced!
Lansinoh - otherwise known as lanolin cream.  Apply before and after every feed.  It speeds up the process of healing and can toughen your nipples up quicker.
Nipple-shields - I personally have never used these but have heard fantastic success stories of those who have.  Be warned, nipple shields are NOT to be used at every feed.  Nipple shields should ONLY be used when you can't take the pain anymore and you need to give your nipples time to heal before the next onslaught.  If you wear nipple shields at every feed, your nipples won't toughen up.
Breastmilk - That's right!  Breastmilk!  It's fantastic stuff.  If you express a little and spread it on your nipple and allow it to air dry it can speed up the healing process.  (other uses of breastmilk are for your baby's eye infection - when their eye gets all gammy from a blocked tear duct, breastmilk will clear it up in a couple of hours.  Breastmilk can also be used in the treatment of eczema.  Express some into a bowl and use it as a wash after your baby's bath!)

I hope these tips will help you through those first few painful days of breastfeeding.  Just remember that the more your baby feeds, the quicker your nipples will toughen up.

I'd just like to say that I am NOT against formula feeding.  I realise that there can be legitimate personal reasons why someone may choose not to breastfeed.  I can fully understand for example, a mom giving up because she can't take the pain.  All I would like to do is to encourage mom's to battle through the pain because it is the most rewarding journey a mother can go on with her child by breastfeeding.  You build such a special special bond with your baby through breastfeeding and none can rival it.  I have many friends who formula feed, sadly I don't know anyone who still breastfeeds their baby, and I would just like my formula feeding friends to know that I don't judge you at all.  I know you ladies and you're FANTASTIC moms.  If you read my blog please try and understand I'm not having a go at formula feeding mom's, what I'm trying to do is encourage new and veteran mom's to give the best to their baby. 

Again, I hope these tips help anyone planning/experiencing breastfeeding.  Please feel free to post any questions you may have. 

Happy Monday!!  xx

2 comments:

  1. Warm flannels and cooled cabbage leaves can help with painful or engorged boobs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, if your nipples aren't sore but it's more engorgement then you can relieve it with the above methods :)

    ReplyDelete